Celebrate the beginning of summertime with this ultimate menu of America’s favorite meals: Steak and cake! Elizabeth Karmel, a pitmaster and the former executive chef at Hill Country Barbecue and Hill Country Chicken in New York City and Washington, D.C., shared these subsequent-level recipes from her new e-book for a crowd-pleasing Memorial Day party on “Good Morning America” today. The recipes are all from her new ebook: “Steak and Cake,” which has dozens of greater recipes proposing the unexpectedly iconic culinary mashup and pulls from Karmel’s time leading a category with the equal name at the New York Institute of Culinary Education.
Karmel’s cumin-rubbed flank steak served with Chimichurri sauce and potatoes will be a hit at your summertime celebration. Chimichurri potatoes are the new potato salad, Karmel says. The potatoes are grilled and tossed with Chimichurri sauce for a vivid and fresh dish that is the right supplement to steak. Finish it off considered one of her candy cakes: a margarita tres leches cake with strawberry pave or her turtle brownie bites with caramel and chocolate ganache. Get all of those recipes from Karmel beneath! (MORE: Wine slushies are the respectable drink of summertime: Here’s the way to make them at domestic)
Cumin-rubbed flank steak recipe
This dish can be served in ways: as an appetizer or predominant dish. As an appetizer/small chunk, vicinity a skinny slice of meat on toasted slices of baguettes with a drizzle of Chimichurri sauce and a pinch of coarse sea salt, which include fleur de sel. As a major, slice throughout the grain into skinny diagonal slices with a sprinkle of fleur de sel and serve it with Chimichurri Potatoes. Serve greater Chimichurri on the aspect.
1 flank steak (1 1/2 to 2 kilos and about 3/four inch thick)
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
half teaspoon smoked paprika
half teaspoon whole cumin seed, toasted at the stovetop in a skillet
Extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse sea salt or kosher salt
Chimichurri Potatoes (see underneath), with 1/four cup of the sauce set apart for serving with the steak
Outdoor Grill Instructions:
1. Preheat grill and set on medium direct warmness.
2. Wrap the flank steak in paper towels to rid it of extra moisture. Replace the paper towels as needed.
3. Mix the garlic, paprika, and cumin seed collectively in a small bowl until properly mixed.
4. Trim the steak of any more floor fat. Brush it lightly all over with olive oil. Press the rub into both aspects of the steak. Wrap the steak in plastic wrap and refrigerate till prepared to cook. (This step can be performed the nighttime earlier than cooking.)
5. Meanwhile, make the Chimichurri sauce using putting all elements in a blender or meals processor and pulse till nicely chopped, but now not puréed.
6. Just earlier than cooking, season the steak with salt.
7. Just earlier than grilling, season steak with kosher salt. Place meat directly on the cooking grate over direct heat and sear—Cook for four-6 mins. Turn steak with a pair of tongs and sear the second aspect. Continue grilling till done, approximately 3-5 mins.
8. Remove steak from grill and place on a smooth platter and rest 5-10 mins earlier than carving.
Butcher tip: Flank steak should be served medium uncommonly and cut across the grain for maximum tenderness.